Monday, January 26, 2015

eat your fruits and vegetables // kale + herb edition

Last Saturday we received our Organic Bountiful Basket with the additional Juice Box and Herb add on.  Due to the insane sickness that swept our house { actually, make that present tense.  Is sweeping our house }, majority of the produce remained untouched.  I got a burst of energy Sunday afternoon and knew there were some tomatoes, a ton of fresh herbs and some other misc. veggies that needed to be used up.  I decided to make some homemade tomato sauce, which really is one of my most favorite things to make!  My sauce typically comes out more ratatouille'esk as I throw in zucchini, squash, mushrooms etc., but this version stayed more along the lines of traditional spaghetti sauce.  As I was preparing the sauce, it occurred to me that this would be the perfect dish to kick off my New Years Resolution of beginning to understand what makes all these veggies that we eat on the regular so darn good for us.  This isn't a recipe by any stretch of the imagination, rather a breakdown of what I did and a few facts of what nutritional ingredients make up the sauce.  

In our cast-iron skillet, I added a few tomatoes to sautéed onions and a few cloves of garlic.  After it thickened up, I added some water, tomato paste, 2 varieties of kale and a ton of fresh herbs; basil, oregano, rosemary, sage etc.  It only needed about 10 minutes of simmering before it became the most rich and flavorful sauce!








I am more than thrilled with how the sauce turned out!  It made a big enough batch that we were able to freeze some of the sauce.  I always feel so very productive when a dish makes enough to tuck away in the freezer.  I am constantly reaching into our freezer for quick, nutritious and homemade meals and I am excited for the next lazy evening where I get to eat up this sauce for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment