Wednesday, September 5, 2012

5280 to 14,420 { part 2 }

Hunter was the first out of bed on Saturday morning, which meant that I had breakfast and coffee waiting for me when I pulled my sleepy butt out of bed.  We got our things packed up, delayered from the night before { I had on wool socks, 2 pairs of pants, a tank top, 2 long sleeved shirts, a Patagonia pullover and scarf, while Hunter, King of Mastering Cold, was wearing just shorts, a long sleeved shirt and a pullover. } We secured the items we needed in our packs, and headed onward and upward!

I really didn't know what to expect, as I've never backpacked before.  All I knew was I wanted a hiking stick...and I wanted a hiking stick FAST.  Hunter spotted this one above in a ditch when we first started our hike, and it was absolutely perfect!  I may or may not I have an affinity for naming inadament objects and spent the first while coming up with a name for my hiking stick.  I first started referring to him as Squiggles, which Hunter said in a kind, yet firm way, that no bad ass stick could be called Squiggles.  I tried Mr, Dr and Homie G Squiggles, but each got vetoed quicker than the next.  H threw out "Knots" which I loved right away, so off Hunter, Knots and I went!  

It took us about 3.5 hours to do the first 4 miles.  Some parts were most certainly more challenging than others, but we took two breaks where we snacked on an orange and Cliff bars.  Hunter had an idea of where to set up camp, and oh me oh my, did we pick a BEAUtiful spot!  

::this is my most favorite photo; totally unedited and BEAUtiful!::

Once we picked out our home for the next 24 hours, we were mildly rushed to set up camp only because the weather that high up is SO unpredictable!  When we first got there it was awfully overcast and slightly windy - so we busted butt to get the tent set up....and right when we did, the clouds broke and there were blue skies for miles.  I was only a little disappointed when the blue skies appeared because secretly I wanted an excuse to get in the tent and nap the next few hours away.  Hunter picked up on this rather quickly and sent me to bed to nap after our lunch even though the clouds had all disappeared and there wasn't a chance of rain in sight. 

::beck; recognize what we had for lunch saturday and sunday?::

Sidenote: I am not a good napper.  On the rare occasion that I know I need to nap to power through a busy weekend, or after work before a night out, I truely act like a 2 year old.  I suddenly get a surge of energy and start picking at whomever might be closest to me...either physically or via text.  I get super gitty and silly and fight sleep like you wouldn't believe.  Anyway, the second I hit the sleeping bag in the tent in the afternoon...I was O.U.T., which proved to me how much the backpacking and hiking had taken it out of me!!  Hunter crawled in with me after a while, but woke up before I was ready to be up and att'em again.  He went off on his own little exploring adventure, and captured the following photos, which I absolutely love.

Since we had set up camp so early, we had a good portion of the afternoon to kill so we did such activities as...

{ 1 } Play in the creek


 { 2 } Monkey around with the self timer

{ 3 } .....take photos like.........this.

::i'm fully aware at how unflattering that photo paints my booty, but it makes me laugh too hard not to share::

We brought a dinner of mediterranean couscous with raisins and as we were cleaning up dinner Hunter says to me:

You know tonight is a full moon.....right? 

HELLO Cliffhanger.
I'll be back tomorrow with why that stroke of genius changed the course of the final leg of our 14'er!

No comments:

Post a Comment