Thursday, September 1, 2011

Which side has greener grass??

When I was growing up, I remember multiple occasions where I’d be in my mom and dad’s room the night of Christmas, crying hysterically because I didn’t want the day to be over. Crying because I had had so much fun, and I wish I could wake up the next day and have it be Christmas again. I never wanted holidays to be over.

Secretly? It didn’t end when Santa stopped bringing me Barbie dolls.

I literally cannot believe that it is September 1st. The summer months have come and gone, school has started, everyone is planning/throwing the final parties of the summer.

Lately, I have been bitching SO MUCH about how hot it has been, and how much I’m longing for fall.. Probably too much. How I can’t wait to wear sweaters, scarves…jeans + boots. Cuddle up with blankets (namely my new most beautiful and favorite quilt ever!) How I can’t wait to feel the snow on my ankles after it sneaks in between my shoes and pants. To watch the fall leaves change. Make leaf angels. Make snow angels. This has been on my mine every morning, and every night. { It doesn’t help that my apt has such awful air circulation, and I sleep with a spray bottle in my hand to spritz myself all throughout the night to cool down. }

But, now that it’s September and fall is around the corner, the sad 5 year old with tears in her eyes is here, and longing for summer back.

Longing for Farmer’s Markets, laying in the park reading while soaking up sun. Longing for Jazz in the Park, patio BBQ’s and sunsets at 9pm. Longing for corn on the cob, pasta salads and strapless dresses.

How indecisive can a person be?! I mean really You don’t always have to want what you can’t have, Beth.

The lesson here is always listen to your mother. Whenever I say to my mom “Ugh I can’t wait this week to be over!!” or “The end of the month can’t come soon enough!” she always says to me “Beth, don’t wish your life away.” Which is so true. Like…really really true.

Damn my mother is smart.

Why should I be wishing away hot summer nights simply to drink a Pumpkin Spice latte while wearing a scarf? It’s pretty silly if you really think about it.

So. What I’m going to do is embrace the moment and embrace the day. Embrace the sweaty hot summer nights. Embrace patio parties with the best of friends.

I’ll wear a scarf when it’s appropriate, but until then maxi dresses it is.

Bye bye sad 5 year old. See you Christmas night.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment