Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chow down.

I've been on this massive trying-new-recipes-kick.  I love the challenge and anticipation of how it will all turn out.  Not to mention, for whatever reason, prepping the ingredients is incredibly therapeutic for me!   I love cutting up all the veggies, mixing in the spices...love, love, love.  I have dozens of new recipes on my To Cook list, but here are a few I've tried in the past few weeks.

:: Pho! ::
Hunter and I have recently really fallen for Pho, so part of his birthday day (more to come on that later) we cooked vegetarian pho!  I wasn't 100% sold on the broth, but Hunter really loved it.  The cinnamon, cloves and star anise really threw me off but once we got all the goods, fresh jalapeños, basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime and ALL our hot sauces in it...I loved it.  Next time I'd try a more traditional broth for it, even though Hunter said 100 times over he wouldn't change a thing.  I'll most certainly be making this again!

:: Breakfast Relleno ::
You guys.  You guys.  You guys.  You guys.  Make.  These.  For.  Breakfast.  I made them for Hunter's birthday breakfast, but substituted goat cheese for feta, only because the goat cheese I had had gone bad. Sad face.  They were amazing with feta, and they'd be amazing with goat cheese.

:: Pancit ::
I can't wait to make this pancit again!  It was so easy, the ingredients weren't difficult to find and it is so easy to season to your tastes...be it spicier with more veggies (yes please!) or more simple tastes with different proteins added.  Love it.

:: Chicken Tortilla Soup ::
Last Tuesday morning I used my crockpot for the first time, and I couldn't be more thrilled!  I did kind of an impromptu chicken tortilla soup.  Chicken, onions, jalapeños, corn, beans, cilantro, chicken broth and just tons and tons of spices.  I loved it with some homemade tortilla chips and plain yogurt!  Yum.

:: Pineapple Salsa + Grilled Chicken + Roasted Brussels Sprouts ::
Monday I had Mary over for our Yarn Party + Bachelor, so I roasted ton of brussels sprouts (always a win!), made this pineapple salsa and just cooked some chicken on the stove top and it was delightful.  Secret: After Mary left I cooked a 2nd batch of brussels, and literally just ate the salsa for lunch yesterday.  SO good, and I can't wait to make it again in the hot summer months!

:: BBQ Chicken ::
Yesterday I used my crockpot for the 2nd time (yay!).  I love coming home to a dinner already cooked for you!  And the best part?  It's cooking while I'm at work so I don't have time to pick at it.  Because I pick and snack while cooking.  Con-stantly.  Anyhoodle, I followed this Healthy Momma BBQ Chicken but it didn't pack quite the punch I was hoping for.  So I threw in some jalapeños, and a couple squeezes of BBQ sauce, left for the gym and 1.5 hours later I was beyond thrilled with the end result!  I cut up some cabbage, onions, cilantro and jalapeños, mixed it with a generous pour of red wine vinegar (I seriously adore that stuff) and put some of the coleslaw on top of the bbq chicken! BAM.  Spicy, hot mixed with cold...I was thrilled.  Hunter popped in before work tonight, and I reheated some of it for him, and he loved it too!

:: Sweet Potato Pizza with Kale and Caramelized Onions ::
Right now I'm mid cooking this recipe, and it couldn't be done quick enough!  I've had my eye on this for a few weeks now so I can't wait for it to be done!  Beth hungee.  I'll report back on the final product.

Like I said, I've got so many new recipes I am dying to try. A couple (of dozens) are:
Caramelized Onion, Red Pepper and Zucchini Frittata. I basically always have these ingredients on hand, so I can't wait to throw them together!
White Bean Kale Soup will be in my belly ASAP.  Mark my words.
Citrus Beet Salad is on my To Do list for next week!
Ricotta Cheese is one of my new fa-vorites, so why wouldn't I make this super simple and delightfully looking Spaghetti Sauce?
For reasons I wish I knew, I've recently become obsessed with chickpeas.  I love them in my salads, I love them with my cottage cheese, I LOVE them on the stovetop with an onion and curry powder.  I luff them.  With that opening, no needed explanation as to why these Roasted Chickpeas totally blew my skirt up.

Have you guys tried any new foods lately?  Any staples that fill your week?  Let me know!  I'm always up for a new flavor combination.  Until then.....I'm off to eat my 'zza!

No comments:

Post a Comment