Sunday, July 31, 2011

I get by with a little help from my friends.

I know we look ghost'ish, but I can't help but adore this picture of Jon and I!

Chris and Kevin moved to Denver a few years ago from CA. They buy/manage apartment buildings and flip each unit until they look as fabulous as they are! The building they are in now, they've flipped the penthouse unit and put in a beautiful wrap around patio. Jon was in town over the weekend, so they had us all over for a patio party! And, per usual, they didn't disappoint.

Amazing food.


 (The ribs with homemade BBQ sauce were to die for and of course I had to get a picture of the once corn on the cob to text to Chad's uncle.)

Amazing friends.


Amazing memories.


(It wouldn't be a night with Jon if he didn't try on my heels. Dudes obsessed.)

And the best pup in all of Denver, Abby!

My favorite story/part of the whole night: 
Chris and Kevin just recently purchased another building just a few blocks from where they are now.  So in true gay man/fruit fly fashion, we poured the fanciest champagne we had into the fanciest glasses we could find and took a walk to see it and celebrate!.  I should preface this whole story with where they are living now is just a few short blocks from my old apt. in Wash Park.  Now you should also know, I'm exteremly sentimental in the weirdest, and sometimes worst ways.  For example: I still remember certain stoplights in Denver where Chad would sneak a kiss at a red light.  Pathetic?  Yes.  It is always a little weird/hard for me to go to Chris and Kevin's, because I take the exact same roads there that I would have taken home just 6 months ago.  I digress.  Picture 9 grown adults, walking with a dog drinking out of probably $30 champagne flutes at 10pm.  We are walking, walking, walking, laughing, flirting with fireman when before I know it, I'm realizing we are at the cross streets of Penn and Bayaud.  Directly, smack dab in front of The Spot (that I talk about here) My heart flutters, then drops when I realize we are less than a block from my old apartment.  Now don't get me wrong...I ADORE my new apartment and new neighborhood.  I wouldn't change where I live now for the world, but I grew and went through so much in the old apartment that I couldn't help feeling sad, mad and a little upset.  I suck it up like a big girl, gave Abby an extra big kiss and went on our merry way to the new building.  We get there, have some laughs in front of it and listen to Chris and Kevin's dreams of what they will do with it before heading back.  I'm walking with Kevin, his arm around my waist, my arm around his shoulders and we approach Bayaud and Logan.  I realize this means nothing to you people, but that was my cross street when I lived at 155 S Penn.  See, this cross street marked the beginning and end of my runs.  Morning runs, afternoon runs, night runs.  Sometimes I'd run 2 times a day, sometimes more.  The runs that helped mend my broken heart.  The runs that got me through missing my family.  Got me through missing my sister.  And before I know it, a flood of emotions sweep over me and I'm having the hardest time putting one foot in front of the other.  But I do, because that's what adults do.  I don't voice any of what I'm feeling, and keep on keepin' on. Kev and I are leading the pack, we approach the intersection, I reach over to push the button I'd pushed a hundred times before, trying to keep the smile on my face and all of a sudden, out of NOWHERE Kevin looks over and says to me: "God D@MN it, you are pretty!"  He probably doesn't even remember saying it, or who knows if he even meant it, but I can't help but think that someone, somewhere knew I needed a smile at that exact moment.  (Hi, Morgan!) I think the healing process of everything that I locked up in that apartment March 5th after moving out ended right then and there.

Thanks for listening.  : )

And for one last photo of the night...my most favorite one:

Jon and our friend Trish hugging goodbye.  We can be quite the rough group.  Quick to curse, quick to insult even if we don't mean it.  But this photo proves to me how much love we all have for each other.  Their tight embrace and the look on Jon's face says it all.  We wouldn't trade each other in for anything or anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment