Thursday, July 25, 2013

Bookworm Beth vol. 3

Oh me oh my.  I sure have let my book updates fall by the wayside.  I'm going to recap these reads best I can, though it may be difficult as most of these books I read back in February/March.  However, I'm going to give it my best shot!  I know that I'm missing a handful of books too, but it's totally my fault for not keeping up with these posts.


This Is Not the Story You Think it Is... A Season of Unlikely Happiness
This book was lent to me by one of the most wise women I know, my Lindsey!  This book left me feeling so refreshed and cleansed.  It was a wonderful reminder to find happiness on the inside rather than all the outside distractions we are faced with.



Plainsong
Plainsong was such quick albeit slightly depressing read of teen pregnancy, abandonment and loneliness.  Through the hardships, the author managed to slip in plenty random acts of kindness and showed that the good in people can shine especially bright throughout hard times.   


Gone Girl
Oh me oh my.  HOW do I possibly recap this book without giving anything away?!  Those who have read it know just what I'm talking about.  I was engrossed in this book from the first page.  I brought it with on our trip to DC this Spring, and even after 12 hour days at a beer festival/dinners with Hunter's aunt, I still managed to stay awake an hour+ past bedtime reading it.  Really and truly, I loved to hate the ending of this book.  Somehow through my anger over the ending, it has me wanting to pick up another one of Gillian's books as I've heard the endings of her other reads are a little more satisfying than this one.



East of the Mountains
This was a book that was given to me to read after Hunter's dad and Hunter both finished it up.  If the two of them can get through it rather quickly, I knew it was one I would enjoy, too.  And enjoy it I did indeed!  It's a great read about a man who tries to cure his diagnosis, personal and health related, through a trip spent with his dogs while in the woods.   Beautifully written with a great flow to it.  Highly recommend it! 



Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
Hunter's aunt Judy lent this book to me after I finished Gone Girl while still in DC.  I know I've read it and have also seen the movie years ago.  When I first started reading it, I expected it to be a silly mindless book to keep me entertained on the airplane.  While it did that, it also was far more inspiring than I could have predicted.  It was such a gentle reminder of the precious nature of fragile friendships, family and self discovery.  I strongly, strongly recommend it to anyone in the middle who might find themselves in the middle of self discovery!


Blind Your Ponies
All in all - I loved this book.  Adored it.  My few negative points would be that it was far too long of a book for the point the author ended up getting at, it was primarily about a basketball team, which rather unexpected and  I felt that the relationships and people you grew to love throughout the book weren't properly addressed in the end.  However, it was a completely enchanting tale.  Something cool worth noting is that the book takes place in a little teeny town in Montana.  I finished this book in the car on our drive out to WA, and right when I finished it we passed right by the town/towns mentioned in the book!  Pretty neat.


Phew!  This has me caught up until we've moved to WA.  I feel like I have a list twice as long as this one for the books I've read since we've been here - but that's for another day.  Happy reading friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment